Content Summary for Child Scald Burn Safety Infographic
Facts and Figures 300 children visit emergency rooms due to burn injuries each day.
1,100 children die each year from fire and burns.
Scald burns account for 34% of overall burn injuries admitted to U.S. burn centers.
Of these, children under 5 years account for 62%.Scald burns are more common for young children as compared to contact burns (caused by direct contact with fire) that is more common among older children.
Babies and young children are even more at risk. They are curious, small and have sensitive skin.
Scalds can come from hot tap water in bathtubs and showers as well.
Microwavable foods are a frequent cause of scald burn injuries.Causes of Fires and Burns:• Candles
• Chemical burns – from bleach, cleaners or batteries
• Cooking – resulting in Scald burns.
• Gas Fireplaces
• Heating - peak months for home heating fires are December, January, February.
• Portable medical oxygen in the home
• Portable generators
• Smoking (i.e., cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc.) are a leading cause of fire deaths
• Sun Exposure
• Washers and Dryers – due to a failure to clean them
Causes of Scald Burns:
• Hot liquids such as hot tap water, overheated beverages, hot oil.
• Vapor or steam
Preventing Scald Injuries
• Always test the temperature of bath water before placing a young child in a tub.
• Keep hot water heaters at 120 degrees or below.
• Create a “no kid” zone around the stove whenever cooking.
• Use the backburner on your stove to prevent appliances with hot food or liquids from overturning.
• When you are heating food or boiling water, keep pot handles turned away from the edge of the stove.
• Do not use wet oven mitts.
• Always replace worn-out oven mitts.
• Stir and test microwaved food before serving your child, as microwaves heat product unevenly.
• Do not hold your child while you are cooking.
• Do not hold your child while you are drinking hot liquids.The best way to help prevent burns is to be aware of these common causes.Sources:http://www.ameriburn.org/preventionNews.phphttp://www.safekids.org/sites/default/files/documents/skw_burns_fact_sheet_feb_2015.pdfhttp://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/causes/scaldshttps://www.injurylawyer.com/personal-injury/scald-burns-ranked-leading-cause-serious-burn-injuries/
What Our Clients Say
“I am the owner of an insurance agency. I was seriously injured in an automobile accident. As you can imagine being in the insurance industry, I know many law firms. For my personal case, I wanted the very best law firm. I knew of the sterling reputation of the Rothenberg Law Firm for their competence, integrity and ability to get me all the compensation that I sought and needed. My high expectations were more than fulfilled. During the course of the litigation there where a number of settlement offers which the firm promptly and dutifully communicated to me and urged me not to accept. They were right. In the end they got me an enormous amount of money for my injuries and loss of earnings; far more than I could have ever imagined. This is a super law firm and I unequivocally recommend them to everyone that has been injured.”
"Working with The Rothenberg Law Firm was a very easy and straightforward process. They actually surprised me with the extra time and additional attention to my case. I'd recommend them to anyone."