Electrical Safety Infographic
Content Summary for The Electrical Safety Infographic
– The fourth leading cause of home fires are lighting and home electrical distribution systems
– Electrical failure or malfunction is blamed for 50,900 fires resulting in 490 deaths and 1,440 injuries each year.
– According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, extension cords cause an estimated 3,300 residential fires which kill 50 people and injure an additional 27 people each year.
-The CPSC estimates that electrical extension cord injuries cause about 4,000 hospital emergency room visits with about 13% involving children under the age of 5 each year.
-Over 30,000 non-fatal shock accidents and 60 consumer products electrocutions occur each year
-The top product categories associated with electrocutions are small appliances, power tools and lighting equipment.
Injuries and Symptoms of Electric Shock:
A burn is the most common injury caused by an electric shock but other injuries can include
- Heart attack
- Muscle pain and contractions
- Difficulty Breathing
- Irregular Heartbeats
- Vision, hearing, or speech problems
An electrical accident can also cause clothing to ignite therefore causing flame burns as well.
Severe electrical burns can cause more damage to a person than can be seen by the naked eye.
– Outdoor electrical work should always be done by a qualified electrician
– Use extension cords and other electrical products made for outside use and have the label of an independent testing laboratory
– Make sure the amperage rating of the extension cord matches that of the outdoor electrical product.
– All outdoor circuits should have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to prevent electrical shock
– Inspect all extension cords and electrical products to make sure they are not damaged and replace damaged ones right away
– Make sure all outdoor lighting or electrical products are firmly secured but not in a way that damages the electrical insulation
– Extension cords should not be pinched by heavy furniture, windows or doors which can damage the insulation
– Keep all electrical products and extension cords clear of standing water, snow or flammable items
– Do not overload electrical outlets with too many devices as they can cause a fire from overheating
– Before replacing any part of an outdoor electrical item, make sure that it is unplugged.
– Do not leave electrical items on when not home or when sleeping
– Store electrical tools indoor and keep them away from children
– Keep in mind that extension cords are not meant for long-term use
– If an electrical products or extension cord has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three slot outlet or cord. Never remove a prong or force a connection to fit a two-slot outlet
– When an extension cord in use is hot, unplug it as it may be a sign of overheating.
– When disconnecting, pull the plug not the cord itself
– Be careful when assisting a victim of an electric shock in order to prevent a second electrical shock