In today’s eco-conscious world, bicycles are used more than ever before. They save on gas, provide exercise, and are a way to travel without the stress of traffic. But more bikes on the roads and pathways means that more bike accidents are striking across the country at higher rates. It happens far more frequently than many people suspect. It is often only when you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident that the risks really hit home.
Not only do many underestimate the chance of getting hurt, but the seriousness of the accidents are often under-appreciated. It is not all bumps and bruises that heal in a few days. Bike accidents can cause serious, life-altering injuries. In some extreme cases they can even be fatal. That is why it is imperative that everyone does all in their power to prevent these accidents.
Types of Bike Accidents
If you are involved in a bike accident, it is important to have an attorney that is on your side to help you recover for the costs associated with your accident. Bike accidents occur for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to:
- Dog attack
- Door opening suddenly on the side of the driver or passenger (“Dooring”)
- Left Turning Vehicle at an Intersection
- Left Turning Vehicle Through a Gap in Traffic
- Rear-Ended by a Passing Vehicle
- Rear-Ended by a Vehicle When Merging Across Lanes to Turn Left
- Right Turning Vehicle Traveling Ahead of a Cyclist
- Right Turning Vehicle Overtaking a Cyclist
- Side-swiped by a Passing Vehicle
- Vehicle entering the street from a driveway or parking space pulls into traffic in front of the bicyclist
- Vehicle that fails to stop at a stop sign or red light
- Vehicle whose driver is impaired by drugs or alcohol
A skilled accident lawyer can help you recover following the accident. These lawyers have experience in dealing with accident reconstruction, bike design and manufacturing issues, and roadway design as it relates to bicycle riders. In most bicycle accidents, as seen above, a negligent or inattentive automobile driver is at fault. The civil law allows all those hurt by the negligence of others—like careless drivers—to receive compensation to help in their recovery.
It is important for you to contact an attorney when you are involved in a bicycle accident, so that the attorney can help you determine if the automobile driver or someone else is at fault and can be held liable for your injuries. A knowledgeable attorney understands what you are going through and will help you recover the costs associated with your accident. Take a moment to call the legal professionals at The Rothenberg Law Firm LLP today.